DL380G2 instability

Christoph Schug chris+freebsd-proliant at schug.net
Mon Sep 25 06:26:29 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:

> I have tried now for some time to get FBSD running on a couple of
> DL380G2 with dual PIII 1.4G but never got it right. The boxes are
> identical in both hw setup and the way they behave so I figured this may
> be FreeBSD related, not a hardware fault.
[...]
> Anyone out there who has this model running SMP OK?

I've got several DL380 G2 running 6-STABLE and 6.1-RELEASE without any
hitch, both in UP and SMP configurations. ACPI is disabled, OS set to
'Linux'. Other BIOS settings are default, firmware levels are as of
Proliant Software Maintenance CD 7.40.

I would rather guess you encountered a hardware issue (faulty power
supply; non-identical stepping of CPUs?). OTOH as you're talking about a
couple of machines, this is not very likely. Are you sure, your servers
have got the redundant fan kit in place as this is mandatory for SMP
operations?

-cs