HP Proliant SATA RAID Cards for FreeBSD?

nocturnal nocturnal at swehack.se
Fri Feb 17 05:17:22 PST 2006

Hi

I need to buy a server from a HP partner for a customer and we don't
need hardware RAID but we would prefer it. We do need SATA because of
budget restrictions. I'm new to hardware and i don't know much at all
about SATA or SATA RAID. I've had only bad experience with SATA RAID
cards using FreeBSD where disk writes timed out and made the system hang
repeatedly.

They offer mainly Proliant machines and i'm wondering which cards you
guys have experience with working well on FreeBSD. We will be using
6.0-RELEASE for the operatingsystem. We could also accept software RAID
if it comes to that, all we need to know is that it will work without
problems and be stable for a production environment.

If any of you feel kind enough to recommend a machine for me then the
required specs are at least two cpu slots with one Intel Xeon processor
of at least 2.0GHz. At least 512MB ram and at least 40GB disks in
hardware raid of course. SCSI disks would be great if the price is right
but SATA disks are recommended because of limited ammounts of resources.
--

Med vänliga hälsningar

Stefan Midjich aka nocturnal
[Swehack] http://swehack.se