No X on PowerMac G5

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Sun Nov 3 22:53:37 UTC 2013

Hi Cristoph,

On 03.11.13 23:30, Christoph Grüll wrote:

> Recently installed FreeBSD on my PowerMac G5 7,3 2.0DP and just wow,
> it works great! But not X ...

What graphics card do you have exactly?

If I read the forum correctly it should be an ATI one?

Could you post the output of:

pciconf -lv

If it is an ATI one, these are the entries I have here:

        Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
        Identifier  "Card0"
->>        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI"
        BoardName   "RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]"
->>        BusID       "PCI:0:16:0"

The bus id seems not to be the issue. It is the same as mine, but if you
have reseated the card into another slot it might have problems. Not the
case here if the logs are still valid.

And this is the recommended driver (pkg info |grep ati-):
xf86-video-ati-6.14.6          X.Org ati display driver

I just started my G5 with the above card and it works. Though, it is
11.0 but the driver and stuff did not change since 9.2.

Andreas