Request for testing an alternate branch

Justin Hibbits jhibbits at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 5 06:21:20 UTC 2013

I've been working on the projects/pmac_pmu branch for some time now to
add suspend/resume as well as CPU speed change for certain PowerPC
machines, about a year since I created the branch, and now it's stable
enough that I want to merge it into HEAD, hence this request. However,
it does touch several drivers, turning them into "early drivers", such
that they can be initialized, and suspended and resumed at a different
time.  Saying that, I do need testing from other architectures, to make
sure I haven't broken anything.

The technical details:

To get proper ordering, I've extended the bus_generic_suspend() and
bus_generic_resume() to do multiple passes.  Devices which cannot be
enabled or disabled at the current pass level would return an EAGAIN.
This could possibly cause problems, since it's an addition to an
existing API rather than a new API to run along side it, so it needs a
great deal of testing.  It works fine on PowerPC, but I don't have any
i386/amd64 or sparc64 hardware to test it on, so would like others who
do to test it.  I don't think that it would impact x86 at all (testing
is obviously required), because the nexus is not an EARLY_DRIVER_MODULE,
so all devices would be handled at the same pass.  But, I do know the
sparc64 has an EARLY_DRIVER_MODULE() nexus, so that will likely be
impacted.

Also, any comments are of course welcome.  Technical concerns are
obviously welcome, and I will try to address everything.

Thanks,

Justin