Freescale P1020 PCIE and device enumeration problem.

John Clark jeclark2006 at aim.com
Thu Aug 29 18:16:51 UTC 2013

Of and on I've been working on getting FreeBSD up and running on a P1020WLAN evaluation board. With some help and some hackerage I've been able to get the board up enough to use one of the ethernet tsec devices to mount an NFS root.

I've moved on to look at getting the drivers up for my PCIE devices, and seem to be having problems both 'conceptually', and more specifically how FreeBSD enumerates devices on the PCIE bus.

The file powerpc/mpc85xx/pci_fdt.c seems to correctly 'find' the PCIE, and there is a 'pcib0' allocated, there does not seem to be any further bus probing to find the PCIE devices.

They exist, as my linux port does find the devices and calls the driver init functions, leading to useable devices when linux is fully booted.

I have noticed in other ports, say for the mips processor, the use of 'hints' seems to be a popular way to indicate devices on the bus. However, I've also read that the DTS files are the preferred way to indicate the existence of devices. However, in the case of linux, the DTS files have no listing for the actual devices on the PCIE bus, just the config info for accessing the PCIE register regions.

If someone has some illuminating remarks on this topic I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
John Clark.