[P2020] FreeBSD cannot enable 2nd core.

Rafal Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Tue Jun 5 19:51:30 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-02, at 17:21, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm running into a weird issue where the 2nd core of a P2020 SoC isn't being woken
> up by FreeBSD.  If I manually frob the EEBPCR register from the U-Boot prompt I see
> that the second core is booting U-Boot (after which things go bad obviously).  But
> from FreeBSD I don't seem to be able to get a kick.  The only real difference I see
> between U-Boot and FreeBSD is that in FreeBSD we need to program the BPTR register
> to have the boot page mapped to where the kernel is loaded. But I have no reason to
> suspect that this is in any way related to why I can't bring the 2nd core up.
> BTW: The logic in FreeBSD worked fine on a P1020.
>
> Does anyone know of any erratas I should be concerned about or have had similar
> experiences they can share.

Hi Marcel,
I can confirm we noticed this problem on P2020DS not long ago with vanilla SVN HEAD, however we haven't investigated this because our local changes for the DPAA QorIQ (rebased against SVN HEAD from around the same time frame) seem to work fine on the P2020DS as well (SMP enabled). I'm still cleaning up and fractioning our huge diff for commiting to SVN and will test the P2020 too.

Rafal