Newbie - Mac G5 Dual PPC 970 @ 2Ghz

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Wed Apr 4 10:38:41 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 11:02 PM, Super Bisquit wrote:

> Out of curiosity, have you tried running the powerpc 32 bit version of
> FreeBSD on it?

I haven't as yet but it's worth a shot. I have tried the uniprocessor
64bit kernel in case it was an SMP issue but that does same. I have
plenty of disk space so I will also do a 32bit install next week when
I'm back as I'm out of town from tomorrow. I also have Fedora 16 PPC and
will try a test install to see if Xorg works or not. Booting the DVD in
graphics mode just gives me a black screen but I suspect that might be
because it needs the "ReverseDDC" option as I have a monitor connected
to the DVI port but none on the ADC port, but I can't be sure till I
actually install it.

> I'm also curious as to what the performance would be if you installed it
> into the server.
> Open Firmware isn't x86 BIOS; this makes me wonder why Xorg is even
> looking for BIOs. Also, I've read that theatre and TV options may need
> to be disabled for now.

I did try disable all theatre related options and all acceleration
options but it made no difference. If I do decide to put a cheap PCI
graphics card as a second display output, I'll let you know if that
works or not.

> I'm going to add more later to the reply. I want to look up your model
> and see what the Logic board is with the main graphics- no ppc64 here,
> just ppc32.

Appreciated. Let me know if you want a dump of any of the hardware
specs. Cheers.

--
Ian Chapman.