Question on PS3 slim

Harley Laue losinggeneration at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 20:03:24 UTC 2011

On 11/15/2011 01:06 PM, Super Bisquit wrote:
> I'd rather use the link you gave than jailbreak the system.
>

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Nathan Whitehorn
> <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>wrote:
>
>> On 11/15/11 11:14, Super Bisquit wrote:
>>
>>> Okay. I'm a geek. I just want to show what the unit is capable of. I don't
>>> see why I couldn't switch out the hard drive to do a demonstration and
>>> then
>>> replace the new one.
>>>
>> As I said, I've heard it works perfectly fine -- I just don't want to post
>> links to jailbreaking information on the mailing list. The real challenge
>> is likely getting the bootloader on, which is stored in flash, so I don't
>> think replacing the hard drive will help you much.
>> -Nathan
Perhaps you need to do a bit more research before attempting this. IMO
you should have a pretty good idea about how the system works before you
attempt homebrew on consoles. For instance, a couple minutes of
searching the internet would tell you that in order to put unsigned code
on newer ps3's which have "OtherOS" removed, jailbreaking is the only
possible option for those consoles (as well as older models with the
upgraded firmware.)

Even if you're planning on doing this just to say you've done it, you
still likely need a bit of research before attempting it. I'm speaking
as someone who's worked on code/homebrew for several consoles ranging
from 8-bit to current gen systems. Things go so much better when you've
put in the time so you know what you're doing. Most of the questions you
have about booting homebrew for pretty much any system out there have
been asked or the info is out there. You just have to look :)

Back on topic, running the FreeBSD without OtherOS would likely require
further changes since the emulated sandbox that OtherOS provided isn't
there. I've read the Linux kernel needed patched in order to, for
example, take advantage of all 7 SPE's. Also, last I heard, it doesn't
have direct harddrive support because OtherOS provided a faked SATA (I
think) interface to it. I think it can still get the root FS via NFS.

*As a quick aside, are there any rules (official or recommended) on top
vs bottom posting?*