FreeBSD 8.2-release: SMP?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Mar 21 20:51:03 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have FreeBSD 8.2-release installed on my G5 Quad:
root at kg-g5# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-g5.kg4.no 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Sat Feb 19 01:18:47 UTC 2011     root at xserve.lan.xcllnt.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  powerpc

And I wanted to build a SMP kernel, so I used this kernel config file:
root at kg-g5# more /sys/powerpc/conf/G5
#
# G5    - GENERIC kernel, plus SMP
#       based on
# GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/powerpc
#
include GENERIC

ident   G5-GENERIC

options SMP

The kernel builds and installs ok, I used
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=G5
make installkernel KERNCONF=G5

However, when I boot the new kernel, I get this:
avail memory = 1996509184 (1904 MB)
SMP: cpu2: skipped -- ID out of range
SMP: cpu3: skipped -- ID out of range
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
cpu0: dev=ff89d680 (BSP)
cpu1: dev=ff89eb70
panic: Built bad topology at 0x866aec. CPU mask 0xF != 0x3
cpuid = 0
KDB stack backtrace:
#0 0x309040 at panic+0x1a4
#1 0x3503ac at smp_topo+0x12c
#2 0x3335e8 at sched_setup+0x48
#3 0x2af9cc at mi_startup+0x134
#4 0x100198 at btext+0x98

Am I missing something in my kernel config file?
--
Torfinn