PowerMac G5 Quad - fan control?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Mar 20 19:14:57 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:15:58 -0600
Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Different G5 models have different thermal regulation schemes. On the
> PCI-Express-based systems (e.g. the Quad), CPU temperatures are read out
> by the smusat driver, and fan control is done by the smu driver. I wrote
> a small daemon to manage fans on my dual-core G5 that you may want to
> adapt that can be found at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/powermac112-fancontrol.c

I notice that my quad machine has more temperature sensors than your machine:
root at kg-g5# alias temp
temp='sysctl dev.smusat.0.cpu_a0_diode_temp;sysctl dev.smusat.0.cpu_a1_diode_temp;sysctl dev.smusat.1.cpu_b0_diode_temp;sysctl dev.smusat.1.cpu_b1_diode_temp'
root at kg-g5# temp
dev.smusat.0.cpu_a0_diode_temp: 52
dev.smusat.0.cpu_a1_diode_temp: 61
dev.smusat.1.cpu_b0_diode_temp: 61
dev.smusat.1.cpu_b1_diode_temp: 62

I wonder if there is one set for the first cpu ("a") and one set for the other ("b")?
And if I should modify the fan control program to take that into account.
The question then is what to do with the "backside" and "expansion_slots_intake" fans, since they
aren't linked to a cpu. Ok, I really don't know if the "drive_bay_a_intake" fan is linked to a cpu either.
Thoughts?
--
Torfinn