PowerMac G5 Quad - fan control?

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 13 20:30:19 UTC 2011

On 03/13/11 15:23, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:15:58 -0600
> Nathan Whitehorn<nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>  wrote:
>
>> Different G5 models have different thermal regulation schemes. On the
>> PCI-Express-based systems (e.g. the Quad), CPU temperatures are read out
>> by the smusat driver, and fan control is done by the smu driver. I wrote
>> a small daemon to manage fans on my dual-core G5 that you may want to
>> adapt that can be found at
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/powermac112-fancontrol.c
> Thanks!
>
> I've adapted it, my version is here[1]. How did you figure out the target temperature?

I made up a number that I decided was safe. :P

These kind of algorithms should really be implemented into the kernel at
some point and made generic (the way they already are for iMacs and
PowerMac 9,1 G5 desktops) so users don't have to fuss with things like this.

> I just run mine in a shell (it needs to be root to change those sysctls), is that the best way.

I run mine from rc.local like this:
/usr/bin/thermald > /dev/null &

> My machine just panic'ed (sleeping thread) but I don't know if that was related to this program.

Any details on the panic (output of uname -a, 32 or 64 bit kernel,
messages, etc.) would be very interesting to see.
-Nathan