PowerMac G5 Quad - fan control?

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 12 18:16:10 UTC 2011

On 03/12/11 08:16, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried booting the hard drive from my old G5 on the new one, which is a PowerMac G5 Quad[1], according to specs.
> tingo at kg-g5$ uname -a
> FreeBSD kg-g5.kg4.no 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #119 r217462M: Sat Jan 15 16:
> @comporellon.tachypleus.net:/usr/obj/powerpc.powerpc/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  powerpc

Different G5 models have different thermal regulation schemes. On the
PCI-Express-based systems (e.g. the Quad), CPU temperatures are read out
by the smusat driver, and fan control is done by the smu driver. I wrote
a small daemon to manage fans on my dual-core G5 that you may want to
adapt that can be found at
http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/powermac112-fancontrol.c
-Nathan