Xserve G5 keeps shutting down

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Wed Jun 29 20:12:24 UTC 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 11:25 AM, Paul Mather wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2011, at 10:41 AM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>
>> On 06/27/11 09:28, Paul Mather wrote:
>>> On Jun 25, 2011, at 8:52 PM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>
>>> What is odd, to me,  is that this power-off occurred even after
>>> commenting out the shutdown line in the thermal power management
>>> driver.  So, it must be something else that is forcibly powering off
>>> the system, maybe something in OpenFirmware, rather like some PC
>>> BIOSes will initiate a power-off when temperatures exceed critical.
>>> But, what is definitely odd is that temperatures don't seem to get so
>>> high as to be critical, so perhaps it is some other hardware state
>>> that is triggering the power-off?
>>
>> Yes, something like that seems likely, either some strange firmware thing or the PMU microcontroller becoming unhappy. A few more things to try:
>> 1) Does setting machdep.manage_fans=0 from the loader change anything?
>
> I am trying that now.

Just to follow up myself, I can report that I tried that and it eventually powered off the machine uncleanly, too, so no ultimate change in outcomes there. :-(

I'm beginning to wonder if this has anything to do with the fans or the temperature.  Tomorrow I'll power on the system and let it run idle and see if it still powers off.

Do you think it would be worthwhile resetting the PMU?

Cheers,

Paul.