Xserve G5 keeps shutting down

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Mon Jun 27 14:28:37 UTC 2011

On Jun 25, 2011, at 8:52 PM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

>> That's extraordinarily odd. And you said there was no fsck or other problem after the reboot? It looks like it shut down normally?

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear.  The system does an unclean power-off.  I have to fsck when I start it up again.

What is odd, to me,  is that this power-off occurred even after commenting out the shutdown line in the thermal power management driver.  So, it must be something else that is forcibly powering off the system, maybe something in OpenFirmware, rather like some PC BIOSes will initiate a power-off when temperatures exceed critical.  But, what is definitely odd is that temperatures don't seem to get so high as to be critical, so perhaps it is some other hardware state that is triggering the power-off?

>> I notice with the pwm-controlled fans that there is a minpwm and maxpwm (40 and 100 respectively on my system).  Is it possible to lower the minpwm?  I tried to do so via /boot/loader.conf (lowering it to 30) but that appears to have had no effect.  Here is my /boot/loader.conf:
>>
>> dev.fcu.0.fans.sys_ctrlr_fan.minpwm=30
>> dev.fcu.0.fans.pci_fan.minpwm=30
>
> I've turned the minimum back down. I had turned it up to 40 due to being frightened by a electronics-burning smell, so that should be fixed too.

I'll build a new kernel and see if things improve.

Cheers,

Paul.