Installing FreeBSD on Mac Mini 4G PPC

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Sat Jun 18 21:09:53 UTC 2011

On Jun 18, 2011, at 8:08 AM, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:32:53 +0300
> Markus Hästbacka <mhastbacka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> Hadn't seen that recipe before, but I managed to get it booted via cd already. Now the problem I have trying to
>> run gpart bootcode -p /mnt/boot/boot1.hfs -i 1 ad0 I get: gpart: /dev/ad0s2: Operation not permitted, did I understand the recipes command incorrectly?
>
> That's odd; according to your gpart show, the boot partition is index 1, aka ad0s1, so why does it say ad0s2.
> Strange.

The APM partitioning scheme sets up the first partition to describe
itself. The old APM code in FreeBSD didn't filter it out and as such
gave the first user partition slice number 2. gpart does not do that
but preserve the previous naming of starting user partitions with s2.

It's easily changed, but breaks backward compatibility...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel at xcllnt.net