Can I install FreeBSD on a e300 core board?

Rafal Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Mon Jun 6 12:00:01 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-04, at 11:04, Bear wrote:

> hi there.
> I got a MPC8313E-RDB board from Freescale some days before. For I am a newbie on PowerPC, the only thing I have done is build a custom kernel of Debian/Linux and boot it on my board.
>
> Now I wanna install a FreeBSD into SD card on this board. Could you give me some instructions? Although I familiar with FreeBSD on x86, I believe there are huge differences between x86 and embedded system.

FreeBSD/powerpc does not support MPC83xx out of the box at the moment, so there's work required on both CPU level and peripheral drivers support.

We have some basic support for MPC5121 SoC, which is built around E300 core (the same as inside MPC83xx) and shares elementary perihperals with 83xx. This code however was just a demo quality, not ready for merging with the repository and it's now rather oudated (needs rebasing against current HEAD).

Rafal