Boot problem

Super Bisquit superbisquit at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:01:37 UTC 2011

Hey.
I did the install of 8.1 using the tutorial I wrote.
The boot1.hfs was dd'ed before the system was installed. I used the Ubuntu
live CD to make the partitions.
Followed the gpart directions and added a basic system. Enabled SSH login
and quotas.

I also did:
>setenv boot-device hd
and
>setenv boot-device hd:,\boot\defaults\loader

Also appended the kernel to is as
>setenv boot-device hd:,\boot\defaults\loader hs:,/boot/kernel/kernel

I'm almost thinking that either boot1.hfs should have been dd'ed after the
install
or that I didn't do it right.

dd if=/path/to/boot1.hfs of=/dev/hdc2

Current open firmware ppc boot is hanging exactly at

>>FreeBSD/powerpc Open Firmware boot block
    Boot path:  /pci at 800000000/pci-bridge at d/pci-ata at 1/ata-4 at 0/disk at 0:
    Boot loader:  /boot/loader
    Boot volume:  /pci at 800000000/pci-bridge at d/pci-ata at 1/ata-4 at 0/disk at 0:
_

I've done the CTRL ALT P R letting it chime three times.

Boot1.hfs came from the 9.0 SNAPSHOT.

Maybe I need to do a hard reset on the board, not sure. Right now a secure
wipe then reformat is sounding good.