FreeBSD on ibook G4 circa 2004

Michael Dinon mdinon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 19:56:46 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am looking for viable alternatives to keep an old ibook I have running
relevant software.  I have in the past used Debian and various other Linux
distros but support for PPC seems to be becomes less and less viable.  I had
looked previously at the BSD's as an option for PPC and found various
information although somewhat limited.  I am curious how well supported is
PPC by FreeBSD, is there anyone on this list running similar hardware and
using FreeBSD on as a laptop as opposed to server duty?  I know the Broadcom
Airport Extreme card is not well supported by most opensource OS's.  When
looking at some of the FreeBSD info on PPC I saw that at one point certain
keyboards and trackpads were not supported which required USB keyboards, is
that still true?  I also stumbled on a new installer bsdinstall, has anyone
used this on similar hardware?  Also does one need to keep an hfs partition
still?  I seem to remember Linux required an hfs partition, not sure if that
is true of the BSD.  I don't plan on needing OSX.  Anyway thank you in
advance for any help or suggestions.

--
Mike