Booting FreeBSD/powerpc from external FireWire drive?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Tue Oct 5 18:56:19 UTC 2010

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:16:31 -0400
Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:

> It would be nice to be able to have \loader loaded from the external FW drive, too, but this solution works.

Well, if you follow the instructions[1] at the PPC wiki page[2], to
create a small Apple bootstrap partition on your firewire drive, does
it not work?

The commands are (example substitue your own drive) :
gpart add -s 800K -t apple-boot ad0
gpart bootcode -p /mnt/boot/boot1.hfs -i <index of boot partition> ad0

Note; I have only done this on an internal disk, so I don't know if it
works for external disks too.
My sequence was:
gpart add -s 800K -t '!Apple_Bootstrap' ad1
dd if=/boot/boot1.hfs of=/dev/ad1s2

(this was back in June, so perhaps 'gpart bootcode' didn't work then?)