Anyone using BOOTP with latest current (Book-E)?

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Wed Mar 24 02:02:59 UTC 2010

On Mar 23, 2010, at 5:38 PM, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
>> What the patch does is to not enable autoneg when autoneg is already
>> enabled so that we don't interfere with the autoneg handshake.
>>

> Yeah, but it also disables ability to restart auto-negotiation with
> "ifconfig tsec0 media auto" command.

That's a valid point. Unfortunately, it's also the problem in a way.
I have one too many FreeBSD machines unable to boot normally into
multi-user mode simply because of excessive link flaps by virtue of
running ifconfig.

> If the PHY is buggy I would add a special case not to check the
> CIPHY_BMSR_ACOMP bit of BMCR for a give PHY model in auto-negotiation
> completion check.

The PHY isn't buggy. At least not that I'm aware of :-)

> One odd thing in tsec(4) is tsec_miibus_statchg() handling. If
> ciphy(4) just reports link UP, tsec(4) still seems to reprogram
> TSEC_REG_ECNTRL register. Shouldn't it check link UP state as well
> as resolved speed/duplex of link?

It does check the speed of the link.

> Also I'm not sure whether tsec(4)
> can safely change duplex configuration when MAC is in
> enabled/active state.

Extensive testing has been done to validate proper operation of
the driver WRT link (re-)negotiations. While Juniper's version is
a bit different from FreeBSD's version, tsec_miibus_statchg()
is fundamentally the same (only locking differences and style).

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com