Fan/Power controls

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Sat Feb 27 22:44:09 UTC 2010

On 27.02.10 23:07, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Andreas Tobler wrote:
>> On 27.02.10 22:28, Alexander Bakst wrote:
>>> (Switched my non-work e-mail)
>>>
>>> Well, I actually am using a fancy apple G5 - I belive it is a power
>>> 970fx, not sure though. I'm not even sure how to check the current clock
>>> frequency of my cpu. To be honest, it would be fantastic if it weren't
>>> running at the highest speed, since I would like to save power. I don't
>>> know if the kernel will tell the cpu to snooze/nap.
>>
>> Hm, it is a 970FX @ 2000.36 MHz.
>> I'm confused that there is no smu?
>> Maybe this one lacks the smu. According to the docs I have, the 7,3
>> behaves similar to the 7,2. And the 7,2/3 do not have an smu. The cpu
>> speed is controlled via freq and volt. And some nasty gpio interrupts
>> @ Nathan :) This bites me currently!
>>
>> Can you boot this machine into OS-X and see what it tells you about
>> the CPU speed?
>>
>> Hopefully I'm wrong :)
> The CPU speed is only low if you break into OF at boot. If you just let
> it autoboot on PowerMac 7,2 and 7,3 (and RackMac 3,1), it has the
> correct value.

Hm, for my understanding, how can I boot w/o OF into netboot mode?
IOW, my CPU speed is always wrong while doing so.

> Unfortunately, Andreas is right that your machine is
> SMU-free, and so there is no fan control at the moment. I believe he is
> working on fixing that, and, if you are feeling ambitious, you could try
> working together. It should be fairly straightforward, and your other
> options, unfortunately, are waiting or falling back to Debian.

I currently work on a cpufreq driver for these 'cranky'
PowerMac7,2/3,RackMac3.1. And I suffer some gpio understanding.

The fan control will take some more time since I need some i2c drivers
first.

Andreas