Apple xServe CLuster Nodes

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 13 19:47:49 UTC 2010

On 08/12/10 09:01, Brian Loomis wrote:
> I have some old Apple xServe cluster nodes that are G5, according to the compatibility chart I can use 8.1 on this.
>
> What compatability is there with the little MacBook Air Apple External DVD drives.  Are there other ones I should use?  What has been the best experience for people?

I have no idea about USB DVD drives, or even if they are bootable on
PowerPC macs. I've succeeded in installing FreeBSD on G5 cluster  nodes
by netbooting them. You need to grab the loader (/boot/loader) off the
CD and make that available by TFTP, then extract the distribution to an
NFS share. The OF command to do netbooting, once you have DHCP set up, is:
boot enet:0,loader
-Nathan