On x86, boot1.hfs does not exist in /usr/src

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 23:13:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Super Biscuit <super_bisquit at yahoo.com> wrote:
> %locate boot1
> /boot/boot1
> /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2/boot1.S
> /usr/src/sys/boot/powerpc/boot1.chrp
> /usr/src/sys/boot/powerpc/boot1.chrp/Makefile
> /usr/src/sys/boot/powerpc/boot1.chrp/Makefile.hfs
> /usr/src/sys/boot/powerpc/boot1.chrp/boot1.c
> /usr/src/sys/boot/powerpc/boot1.chrp/bootinfo.txt
> /usr/src/sys/boot/powerpc/boot1.chrp/generate-hfs.sh
> /usr/src/sys/boot/powerpc/boot1.chrp/hfs.tmpl.bz2.uu
> /usr/src/sys/boot/sparc64/boot1
> /usr/src/sys/boot/sparc64/boot1/Makefile
> /usr/src/sys/boot/sparc64/boot1/_start.s
> /usr/src/sys/boot/sparc64/boot1/boot1.c

    Next time you should use probably grep not locate:

$ grep -r boot1.hfs * | grep -v svn
boot1.chrp/Makefile:FILES=		boot1.hfs
boot1.chrp/Makefile:boot1.hfs: boot1.elf bootinfo.txt
boot1.chrp/Makefile:CLEANFILES= boot1.hfs

> Once the disk is partitioned, you must install the bootloader by hand to the
> 800 K partition. If that is ad0s1, you can do that as follows:
> dd if=/boot/boot1.hfs of=/dev/ad0s1"

    make -C sys/boot/powerpc/boot1.chrp all install ?

    You also might want to read more information about chrp:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Hardware_Reference_Platform

> My options for building it are: x86 FreeBSD or Debian powerPC.

    How in the world does Debian PPC factor into the equation?

> I am also seeing uboot and a few maps in /usr/src.
> Can this be placed such that yaboot would let it load?

    If you're really determined to use yaboot on your Mac, here's
something I popped up with a simple search:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-198983.html . The first
and fourth posts are the posts you should probably pay attention to.
There are also some posts on forums.freebsd.org that might be of some
use (there's a powerpc section of the forums), as well as archives for
this mailing list.
Thanks,
-Garrett