ppc64 snapshot

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Tue Apr 6 17:22:11 UTC 2010

Justin Hibbits wrote:
> I just got my hands on a dual-core G5 (Late 2005), and want to throw
> -CURRENT on it.  Is there a snapshot available with the recent ppc64 changes
> that I could test out?
>
> - Justin

I just finished implementing the last missing feature in the 64-bit
PowerPC port, and there are no more 64-bit-specific bugs that I know
about. Once M. Warner Losh's build system changes are in the tree, I
will submit a final patch set for review, and merge it to head, but the
port should be completely usable at this point.

System Compatibility:
 - Apple G5 machines

Caveats:
 - Do not run ofwdump on an SMP system, as it can cause hangs (also a
32-bit bug)
 - Many ports (e.g. X and GTK) need patches not currently in the ports
tree to compile, since this is a new platform

Instructions:
svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/ppc64
cd ppc64
make buildworld buildkernel installkernel installworld distribution
DESTDIR=/path/to/installation TARGET_ARCH=powerpc64

I would appreciate any feedback or tests, as well as testing on 32-bit
Book-E systems to make sure I did not break anything. Many thanks to
Andreas Tobler for his tireless testing efforts during development of
this port.
-Nathan