Xserve G4 stability (random processes crashing)

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Mon Apr 5 18:24:08 UTC 2010

On Apr 3, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Since you say UP kernels have the same problems, other G4 machines seem not to have issues, and SMP G5 Xserves are completely stable, that points at some G4 Xserve-specific piece of hardware. I'd guess the ATA controller. Could you try chroot to an NFS volume mounted from a known-stable machine, or a USB or Firewire disk, and trying the same things?
> -Nathan

Okay, i've done some more playing... The problem still happens even if TMPDIR, /usr/src and /usr/obj are NFS mounted to another system.

I'm fiddling more, but I think that rules out ATA then.

The problem seems to take a long while to first appear, but once it does appear it happens pretty fast repeatedly after that. Is it possible the fan controls aren't working right?

-- Kevin