ppc64 snapshot

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 5 00:35:10 UTC 2010

Justin Hibbits wrote:
> I just got my hands on a dual-core G5 (Late 2005), and want to throw
> -CURRENT on it.  Is there a snapshot available with the recent ppc64 changes
> that I could test out?

There isn't a snapshot currently -- you have to crossbuild and netboot
for now. I am planning on making one in the next week or so after my
next and final round of changes to support DMA above the 4 GB boundary.
Your other option would be installing a 32-bit system, then building and
installing a 64-bit kernel and world.

Also, your machine is unsupported right now, even in 32-bit mode, due to
a missing attachment for the OpenPIC in the U4 system controller. Adding
that attachment is probably the work of an hour or two, however, if you
find yourself with some free time, and Andreas Tobler is currently
working on adding support for it for other reasons, so patches may
already exist.
-Nathan