powerpc/138543: No driver for stock Adaptec brand scsi controller from Apple

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 9 18:50:07 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR powerpc/138543; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>
To: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-ppc at freebsd.org, Riley Eltrich <eltrich.riley at gmail.com>,
 freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: powerpc/138543: No driver for stock Adaptec brand scsi	controller
 from Apple
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 13:14:50 -0500

 John Baldwin wrote:
 > On Saturday 05 September 2009 12:32:57 am Riley Eltrich wrote:
 >
 >>> Number:         138543
 >>> Category:       powerpc
 >>> Synopsis:       No driver for stock Adaptec brand scsi controller from
 >>>
 > Apple
 >
 >>> Confidential:   no
 >>> Severity:       serious
 >> N/A
 >>
 >>> Environment:
 >>>
 >> cant actually install without driver :)

 >> there seems to be no support for the scsi addon card that was a stock part
 >>
 > in the Blue/White Powermac G3
 >
 >> Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W (rev 01)
 >>
 >>> How-To-Repeat:
 >>>
 >> boot it on a G3 with the unsupported scsi card unless I just have no idea
 >>
 > what I am doing (real possibility)
 >
 > I believe ahc(4) supports all the 2940 parts?

 It does. Given that Apple (as far as I am aware) shipped machines with
 ahc, isp, and mpt controllers, I think these drivers should be in
 GENERIC so that people can install onto disks without surprises. Any
 objections to adding ahc, isp, mpt, and sym to GENERIC?
 -Nathan