No kbd and no mouse on iBook G4 with Xorg?

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 9 07:05:02 UTC 2009

Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>
>>> Did someone manage to get X working on an iBook G4, running
>>> FreeBSD -current (rev r190283) and with Xorg 1.5.3?
>>>
>>> The keyboard (akbd) and mouse (ums0/ums1/sysmouse) don't seem
>>> to work for me.
>>>
>>> I have kernel config, dmesg, xorg.conf, etc here:
>>>     http://ns1.xcllnt.net/~marcel/machines/ibook/
>>>

>> The keyboard should work fine -- maybe you've been bitten by the
>> stupid mouse blocking thing in Xorg 7.4? I put my working xorg.conf
>> for almost
>> the same machine at
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/xorg.ibook.conf
>>
>> The mouse is another issue. Apple's two-finger scrolling trackpads
>> claim to be
>> standard USB mice, but are not. Instead, they just transfer the pressure
>> everywhere on their sensor grids continuously, and require a new
>> driver. This is pbms(4) on NetBSD.
>
> Hm, so the kdb follows adb while the trackpad is usb? Did I got that
> right?
>
> Here on my PowerBook G4 I have X11 with an external USB mouse working.
>
> Now, if I got the above right, we would need the pbms(4) to have
> trackpad clicking support?
>
> Just for understanding.
Yes, that is correct. Basically, the trackpad is to regular USB mice as
a winmodem is to a regular modem: you just get a grid of pad pressures,
and have to go around taking weighted averages to get the mouse
position, figure out the position delta from last time, detect if there
are two fingers on the pad to implement scrolling, etc. This same device
also has an ADB attachment; the later model ADB trackpads can be put
into a mode where they do the same thing by setting their handler code
appropriately.
-Nathan