powermac kernel freezes on CURRENT

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu
Mon Jun 8 00:17:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Andreas Tobler<andreastt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have here a strange issue.
> My setup are a powerpook G4 and a imacDV with a G3. I try to boot CURRENT
> kernel, atm rev: 193648. GENERIC, WITNESS and INVARIANTS enabled/disabled,
> does not matter.
>
> I can boot the kernel successfully and login to the machines via ssh.
> But as soon as I try to login via console/kbd I get a freeze w/o a notice
> why. The machines are dead as soon as I press a key on the keyboard. The
> mouse is working ok before pressing a key.
>
> There is _no_ message in the logs about...
>
> On the imac, the kbd is usb. On the Powerbook, the kbd is adb.
>
> The last working kernel I have is from 20090531, the rev with the dfs
> driver.
>
> I did not find an obvious candidate causing this, at least on the powerpc
> part.
>
> Does anyone else see such a behavior?
>
> TIA,
> Andreas

I have to give a "me too" on this.  revision 192758 (previous, and
currently running kernel) works, but 193636 (latest svn up) freezes.

G4 MDD 1.25GHz, no WITNESS, apple pro USB keyboard.  Not sure about
moving the mouse, because I run SLiM for the login manager which
disables the mouse cursor, but I'll assume it's the same behavior
you're seeing -- machine completely freezes with any keyboard
activity.

- Justin