How to make a remote reboot when system has panic'ed ?

Niels S. Eliasen nse at delfi-konsult.com
Mon Jan 12 08:26:56 PST 2009

Den 12/01/2009 kl. 15.29 skrev Nathan Whitehorn:

> Niels S. Eliasen wrote:
>> hi guys
>> Having some issues with the current kernel getting sound and
>> keyboard working (thanks sofar Nathan! ) made me think about how to
>> reboot when the system has panic'ed...  remotely ??
>> ie. a virtual CTRL-OPTION-POWER ?
>> is that possible at all?
>
> How remotely? During a panic, there is necessarily no network
> access. Typing reset at the debugger prompt, though, via a serial
> console or firewire (dcons) will cause a reboot, and the machine
> with the other end of the console can be connected to the network.
dcons definitely is a possibility.... (never heard about it before
though... ;-) )

I do have a "HP Webconsole J3591A" which basically gives me Ethernet
to Serial Console capability...
I just(sic!) need some "hints/tips/tricks" to get one of the USB ports
setup for "dumb" terminal (including obviously OpenFirmware)
capability.....
(or can the modem port be used for this? probably not.... although it
is a software modem only....)
BTW: we are talking about a TiBook (400 Mhz)....