auto booting

Axel Scheepers axel.scheepers at nl.clara.net
Wed Aug 19 16:55:07 UTC 2009

Hi List,

First of all thanks for porting FreeBSD to powerpc, it runs great on my
iBook over here and now I can even use my adb keyboard. Thanks!

When installing I created an !Apple_HFS partition which I formatted and
labeled Boot with hfsutils from ports yesterday so I can copy the loader
there and don't have to boot from cd each time. This works great without
auto boot; boot hd:loader hd:4 works like a charm.

When I had OpenBSD on this laptop I remember I could just set
boot-device to be able to autoboot but when I try this it seems the
kernel is loading (I can hear it accessing drives/cdrom and the host
starts pinging after a while) but there's no video output except for the
basic moire x like background from openfirmware. The laptop also doesn't
boot all the way when I use this, even after waiting quite some time
there was no sshd listening so I rebooted it and booted it manually
which works fine.

NetBSD also has this issue if I'm correct, can someone explain to me why
this is happening?

Thanks,
Kind regards,

Axel Scheepers