8.0-current 200809 snapshot CD boot problem

Marco Trillo marcotrillo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 20:54:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com> wrote:
> Let me get it straight...
>
> In the first case (booting from hd:58), does the boot
> fail for start address 0x100100 but not for start
> address 0x13d3c0?
>
> In the second case (booting from CD), does it work in
> both cases?
>
> Or is the second case the same as the first case and
> it is failing for 0x100100 and working for 0x13d3c0?

Booting from CD fails for 0x100100 kernels, such as the 8.0-current
snapshot, and works for 0x13d3c0 kernels like the 7.1_BETA snapshot.

Booting kernels from hard disk (both with a loader in an HFS partition
in hard disk or with the loader from the CD) also fails for
8.0-current kernels with the 0x1001000 address and works for kernels
with a 0x13d3c0 address, either 7.1 or 8.0-current compiled with
revision 1.7 of  the "ldscript.powerpc" file .

Oddly enough, I tried booting the same 8.0-current snapshot CD on a
PowerMac G4 "Sawtooth" (PowerMac3,1) and it boots fine there -- no
errors, as does the 7.1-beta CD...

Thanks,
Marco.