Call for testers: Apple ATA DMA

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 25 18:17:33 UTC 2008

Marco Trillo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Nathan Whitehorn
> <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Ugh. I really don't know, and am flying blind without hardware. If you
>> disable ATAPI DMA or the macio controller, does ad0 at least work?
>> -Nathan
>>

> I reverted the ata_macio.c patch and now Kauai uses DMA just fine! ad0
> now works in UDMA100 mode without any errors :-)
>
> ata0 mem 0x20000-0x20fff,0x8800-0x88ff irq 24,12 on macio0
> ata0: [ITHREAD]
> ata1: <Intrepid Kauai ATA Controller> mem 0xf5004000-0xf5007fff irq
> 39,1 at device 13.0 on pci2
> ata1: [ITHREAD]
> acd0: DVDR <HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B/2.05> at ata0-master BIOSPIO
> ad0: 38166MB <Seagate ST340015A 3.01> at ata1-master UDMA100
>
> And indeed the ad0 disk performance is much better. Thank you!
>
> So it looks like an ata_macio specific problem.

Well I'm glad to hear that something works :)

I just added in support for setting the timing correctly when the bus
has multiple devices running at different speeds and also for
programming reasonable PIO defaults for ata_macio. I hope the
combination solves the problems seen by both you and Marcel, so more
testing would be appreciated. As usual, the patch is here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/apple-ata-dma.patch
-Nathan