Call for testers: Apple ATA DMA

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 22 21:28:06 UTC 2008

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

>> I now have UDMA modes working on my Shasta controller -- there was a
>> stupid bug where I forgot to set the device to accept transfers in
>> the selected mode. Please give this patch a test: I expect that UDMA
>> modes now work everywhere.
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/apple-ata-dma.patch
>
> Nathan,
>
> The patch works here (G4 Mac Mini, 1.25GHz), however, I see some weird
> things happening in the interrupt domain. Particularly, according to
> the vmstat(8) ata0 device, which has no disks attached to it,
> generates large number of interrupts, about 1,500 in the idle state
> when no disk activity is in progress, and more than 100K (sic!) when I
> am running buildworld. At the same time, ata1 doesn't generate any
> interrupts at all. As a result, the system spends half of its time
> servicing those interrupts, so that UDMA mode is not very usable yet.
> See 341.png screenshot. Dmesg is below:
Thanks for testing! So ata1 generates no interrupts? Or does it just
generate a number << ata0?

> I was able to "fix" the problem by making ata_macio probe function
> returning ENXIO always. My guess is that ATA chipset on this machine
> is somehow accessible through two different buses (macio and pci),
> which creates some weird conflicts, but I might be wrong. Hopefully
> you will have better idea, I can provide any assistance needed to fix
> the issue properly. See 342.png screenshot. Dmesg with hacked
> ata_macio is as follows:
Interesting -- it looks like all the interrupts are arriving on the
second (DBDMA) IRQ. Could you try setting USE_DBDMA_IRQ to 0 in
ata_macio.c and re-enabling ata_macio? There is something funny with how
these interrupts are triggered currently and they can set off interrupt
storms like this.
-Nathan