FreeBSD on my old rusty PowerBook 12"

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 31 20:33:14 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 03:01:36PM -0500, Ross Gohlke wrote:
> Do you have an old Mac OS X Installer disc? If so, it contains Disk
> Utility, which will allow you to partition the drive, creating a small
> HFS partition and as many UFS(2) partitions as you want. You will need
> to know the identities of each partition when you get to sysinstall. You
> can do this in Disk Utility by selecting each new partition and clicking
> Info.
>
> Older versions (10.1, 10.2) of OS X might use UFS, I'm pretty sure newer
> versions use UFS2. Regardless, Disk Utility simply calls it UNIX File
> System.
>
> This is the first I've heard of ADB support, and I don't own a USB
> keyboard; I used Disk Utility in Tiger (10.4) to create a dual-boot
> drive, so the HFS partition wasn't a problem.

This sounds like fun.  I'd like to be able to dual-boot between OSX and
FreeBSD.  Is this procedure documented somewhere (wiki maybe)?  Looks
like I have to create three partitions: 800K strapping one, OSX HFS+,
FreeBSD UFS2.  Does the loader in 800K needs any treatment to see both
OSes and be able to select which one to boot?

Thanks.

./danfe