PowerBook 12" hangs right after attaching ams0

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 30 06:44:38 PDT 2008

Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After using finnix to partition my PowerBook's hard driver (thanks
> Horst), I managed to install FreeBSD properly. I still have to look into
> the boot loader issue, but I first want to get the keyboard working.
>
> I upgraded from the Oct 2008 snapshot CD to yesterday evening's HEAD.
> After recompiling the kernel and booting it, it gets stuck right after
> attaching ams0. I don't have time to copy the entire dmesg by hand here,
> so here are the last messages when I `boot -v':
>
> | adb0: <Apple Desktop Bus> on pmu0
> | akbd0: <iBook Keyboard> at device 2 on adb0
> | kbd: new array size 4
> | kbd1 at akbd0
> | ams0: <ADB Mouse> at device 3 on adb0
>
> Nathan, is there some special kernel compile switch/command I can run to
> provide you with more data?

Drat. Could you try the patch at
http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/adb-delayed-attach.diff?

I'd also be interested to know what the bit of your dmesg around
macgpio0 looks like, in particular the line from the attachment for
pmuextint0. Unfortunately, ams0's attach doesn't have any debug
information in it. It is stuck somewhere between lines 171 and 183 of
adb_mouse.c, if you want to fill it with printf().
-Nathan