FreeBSD on my old rusty PowerBook 12"

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Wed Oct 29 20:11:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 21:04 +0100, Ed Schouten wrote:

> That sounds great. Unfortunately I can't find a CD image which has a
> fixit shell on it (there are no fixit disks?) so I think I can't
> properly partition my harddisk with gpart right now. You happen to know
> where I can find a FreeBSD PPC disc which allows me to do this? Thanks!

I don't believe such a disc exists for PowerPC. You might try a linux
livecd like finnix-ppc which was what I used, as it has GNU Parted which
_will_ set up your partitions properly.

Alternatively you could boot into OSX with installer disc 1 and use the
Disk Utility. It doesn't matter what type of partition is what just as
long as you have that small HFS one (which the dd image will take care
of anyway).

Then just sysinstall as normal.

Happy BSDing on your mac!

-- Horst.