ATA DMA problems with recent -current

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sun Oct 26 15:30:15 UTC 2008

Marco Trillo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just updated my -current kernel to today sources -- the previous
> kernel was from Oct 11. With the new kernel I'm getting ad0 ATA DMA
> timeouts, which get worse when I stress the drive.

The only thing that changed since 11 Oct was that I redid the PCI
handling by importing sparc64's architecture. This *should* have changed
nothing, since I just reshuffled some code, but apparently it didn't.
One of the few actual changes was that ata_kauai now attaches only to
the first IRQ (39) instead of both OF IRQs (39 and 1). However, it never
used the second one, so it should have changed nothing. Things to try:

- Make ata_kauai add IRQ 1 to its resource list again, just like it
hardcodes 39.
- IRQ 1 is shared with the i2s controller. Try disabling it?

I'm pretty confused about how it is that things have broken, though.
-Nathan