[Fwd: X hassles - "Device not found"]

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Thu Oct 16 16:45:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:16 -0500, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Horst Günther Burkhardt III wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 06:42 -0600, Peter Grehan wrote:
> >> Hi Horst,

> >>   Try a 'sysctl hw.ofwfb.relax_mmap=1' before starting X. The Xorg ATI
> >> driver attempts to mmap more memory than the card reports, and the OFW
> >> syscons driver thinks this is an error.
> >>
> >>   However, since X hasn't fixed this in years now, it's probably time to
> >> remove the check since every user trips up on it :(
> >
> > sysctl trick worked.
> >
> > Next problem is "fbdevhw".
> >
> > Error log:
> >
> > (EE) R128: Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (module does not exist, 0)
> > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> There is a configuration knob in the xorg.conf file you need to set:
>   Option     "UseFBDev"                   "off"

Cheers. Now to deal with the fact that i get a black screen where I
should be seeing twm, and the fact that after hitting C-M-BS I don't get
my syscons back. :( Is there no winning? :)

(Do I have to install twm too? (also the led on the monitor isn't doing
anything weird that would indicate out-of-range so i have no clue of the
bug)

> > Also, is there a way to make 'sysctl hw.ofwfb.relax_mmap=1' happen on
> > startup, or be the default state?
>
> See sysctl.conf(5).

Okay, i'll check that when i boot up again, I had to force power down in
a moment of lack of clarity of mind.

> > (Further question, anyone had luck getting ACPI Suspend or display sleep
> > to work with macs?)
>
> There is no suspend support on macs, and may never be. We could probably
> at least add cpufreq support, though. DPMS (display sleep) should work fine.

I don't know how display sleep works - any pointers at docs would be
appreciated. I don't like the idea of my 17" trinitron sitting there
acquiring burn-in of console text, even though it would be AWESOME.

I don't need suspend support so much - I'm fine leaving boxes running
for days, weeks, months at a time. :)

Thanks very much.