Apologies for failing.

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 13 16:27:28 UTC 2008

>No no no no no. Linux emulation DOES exist in the freeBSD
>kernel.

 I ... know that :) It doesn't exist in the FreeBSD/ppc kernel.

>(Has FreeBSD-ppc had all the binary emulation stuff stripped
>out of it, or could I theoretically run a linux binary that
>was built for ppc?)

 No. The Linux emu code isn't there, and the ppc-specific
layer that converts FreeBSD<->Linux syscalls/signal etc hasn't
been written.

 NB, for anyone interested in looking at that, there is an
excellent series of articles by Emmanuel Dreyfus on the
NetBSD/ppc Linux emu implementation that pretty much describes
the work needed, sans NetBSD/FreeBSD differences:

 http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/10/linux_bsd.html

later,

Peter.