The only box that can't mount its own install media.

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 9 19:52:30 UTC 2008

Hi Horst,

>I need to figure out how the loader works. Any
>volunteers to explain what drops where? (i'm using
>hfsutils, i have no os x anymore)

 You'll want to copy the loader, and also a "tbxi" text file
to the root directory of the HFS partition. The contents of
the tbxi file can be derived from a couple of places - the
FreeBSD release CD uses one:

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/release/powerpc/boot.tbxi?revision=133950&view=markup

 .. and replace the boot line with the partition that your
kernel is on.

 Then, in OpenFirmware, set auto-boot? to true, boot-device to
the disk, partition and file e.g.

0 > setenv boot-device hd:9,\boot.tbxi

 (after doing a test boot with 'boot hd:9,\boot.tbxi :)

0 > reset-all

 ... will save the env var and hopefully autoboot into FreeBSD.

>Also, is there any more "elegant" bootloader for PPC that
>could be used?

 I'd like to hope that Oliver Fromme's graphical loader work
could be ported to the ppc/ofw loader. Here's a screen shot:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/FreeBSD/vloader/screenshot.png

later,

Peter.