Apple Screamer Audio: looking for testers

Marco Trillo marcotrillo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 08:18:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Andreas Tobler <andreast-list at fgznet.ch> wrote:
>> Very nice!  :-)  Thanks a lot for testing it, so the final version
>> will work out of the box for (hopefully) all iMac DVs!
>
> Hopefully yes. As I see from the cvs commits the dbdma part is already in,
> right?

Yes, an improved version of the extensions for the dbdma API is
already in thanks to Nathan.

> The aoa.c on your page is not yet updated with the fix you proposed me to
> test, is that coming soon work?
> Also, I'm just curious, how do you proceed to get this into
> sys/powerpc/powermac?

Actually I have split the "aoa.c" file in different files for the
different audio controllers, intended to go into the
"sys/dev/sound/macio" directory, which is where all the other sound
drivers for other platforms reside, instead of "sys/powerpc/powermac".
The new, splitted version of the driver will of course include the fix :-) .

>>> And now even playing mp3 is working.
>>> The only thing I did not find out is how to play cd's, but that's not
>>> that
>>> important to me.
>>
>> You can use a tool such as "cdda2wav" (distributed as part of
>> "cdrtools"), which has the ability to play CDs in 'live' but in
>> digital mode; in addition, of course, it can rip the tracks to files
>> in the hard disk...
>
> cdda2wav only seems to work with scsi drives? I ripped my cd's on OS-X to
> get a test mp3.

It also works with ATAPI drives if the kernel is compiled with
ATAPI/CAM support -- just like the "cdrecord" utility.

Regards,
Marco.