Extreme difficulty with partitioning on mac powerpc g4 [long]

Marco Trillo marcotrillo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 08:04:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Nick Coleman <ncoleman at internode.on.net> wrote:
> From what I understand, you need to use mac-fdisk (Debian, Mac OS X; I think
> it might even just be a frontend to parted) or parted.

Actually the tool is called "pdisk", "mac-fdisk" is just a Debian
rename for it (I don't know why).

> PPC build, in a Ubuntu live CD session.  Ubuntu's latest releases don't
> support PPC, but their 6.x build is still maintained and does support it.
> I downloaded the live CD (700MB just to run parted!).

Hmm... an easier option is booting from the Mac OS X installation
media. It contains a "Disk Utility" application that can be opened
from the menu and can be used to create all the partitions -- and the
tool is entirely graphical.
It requires that the partitions be initially formated in either HFS
(the Mac OS filesystem) or UFS; for the FreeBSD partition(s) either
format can be used as they will be reformated later by sysinst using
FreeBSD's own filesystems.

For older Macs which come with Mac OS 9 media, a similar tool called
"Drive setup" can be used.

> [...]
> On a side note, by this stage, Open Firmware and I have quite a close
> relationship. :).  Open Firmware is my bro'.

 :-) .

Regards,
Marco.