bootloader installation

Christian Brueffer brueffer at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 7 20:13:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 10:36:59AM -0500, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Horst Günther Burkhardt III wrote:
> >I have installed FreeBSD, thanks to Richard for suggesting Finnix for
> >partitioning, it did the job brilliantly.
> >
> >... Where the hell is the bootloader? I can't find it anywhere, and thus
> >don't know what to do with the 64MB HFS+ i set aside for it. :(
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated. Once again.
> >
> >My apologies for being horridly noobish here.
> >  -- Horst.
>
> It is /boot/loader. There is a boot.tbxi that you can install too (and
> find in /usr/src/release/powerpc) that will let you use the OF boot menu
> to select FreeBSD if you are dual-booting.
>
> We really need to make installation work better. Can we include a port
> of Apple's HFS implementation in base? I know APSL1 was impossible, but
> are there any thoughts on APSL2 now? Having HFS support should also be
> valuable on x86 with more people dual-booting FreeBSD/OS X now.
>
> I suppose that writing a simple write-only HFS implementation should not
> be too hard, either. Maybe this could be hooked into gpart bootcode?
> -Nathan

Take a look at http://people.freebsd.org/~yar for an old hfs port from
the 5.x days.  Unfortunately it never made it into the base system,
maybe someone here would like to pick it up?

- Christian

--
Christian Brueffer	chris at unixpages.org	brueffer at FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc