bootloader installation

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 7 15:32:21 UTC 2008

Horst Günther Burkhardt III wrote:
> I have installed FreeBSD, thanks to Richard for suggesting Finnix for
> partitioning, it did the job brilliantly.
>
> ... Where the hell is the bootloader? I can't find it anywhere, and thus
> don't know what to do with the 64MB HFS+ i set aside for it. :(
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Once again.
>
> My apologies for being horridly noobish here.
>   -- Horst.

It is /boot/loader. There is a boot.tbxi that you can install too (and
find in /usr/src/release/powerpc) that will let you use the OF boot menu
to select FreeBSD if you are dual-booting.

We really need to make installation work better. Can we include a port
of Apple's HFS implementation in base? I know APSL1 was impossible, but
are there any thoughts on APSL2 now? Having HFS support should also be
valuable on x86 with more people dual-booting FreeBSD/OS X now.

I suppose that writing a simple write-only HFS implementation should not
be too hard, either. Maybe this could be hooked into gpart bootcode?
-Nathan