Call for testers: Apple ATA DMA

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 6 04:15:05 UTC 2008

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 23:00:18 +0200, Andreas Tobler
<andreast-list at fgznet.ch> wrote:
> Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

>>> I guess DMA is a useful technology :)
>>>
>>> Thanks for testing -- I've committed the patch. I'll revisit it when
>>> Marcel tests it on Monday and it erases his hard drive...
>>
>> Good and bad news.
>>
>> The good: my Xserve is working fine and acd0 is now using UDMA33
>> instead of BIOSPIO.
>>
>> The bad: my Mac Mini G4 is still having the same problems. This
>> is ad0 at UDMA66 and acd0 at UDMA33. I'll experiment with it a
>> bit later...
>
> I'll pick up here.
>
> Here I have a imac slot-loading, don't know which revision offhand. It's
> a 500MHz piece w/o fan.

[snipped dmesg]

> I did an upgrade from 7.0 with csup since the snapshots do not boot.

The not booting is a bad sign. I know netbooting is broken for me on some
machines with the current loader, due to changes in how it opens the
network device which marius reverted for sparc64.

> After that I tried a buildworld with several hassles, after all I
> managed to install the whole stuff and the only thing which makes me
> curious is the one above, the LOR's.
>
> Do I have to worry about?

Nope. This is standard at the moment, and will get cleaned up eventually.
I'd suggest turning off WITNESS and INVARIANTS in your kernel config,
unless you are debugging something. It should speed up your system nicely.

> @ Nathan, hat off, it feels snappier with your DMA stuff, THANKS!

Glad to hear it!
-Nathan