Extreme difficulty with partitioning on mac powerpc g4.

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Thu Oct 2 22:31:33 UTC 2008

Good evening.

I'm having some significant trouble using the install.iso for ppc. This
trouble being (with both 7.0-RELEASE and 7.1-BETA) that the installer
insists on doing its partitioning with fdisk. I have used linux fdisk to
make the partition tables up, and failing this attempted some semblance
of partitioning with Mac OS X Disk Utility (an idea taken from OpenBSD
install docs for ppc). I also attempted to use GParted, and none of
these attempts at partitioning are being picked up.

It all comes back to me hitting "custom install" as I always do, and the
damned partitioner, and me trying to do _anything_ results in a SIG11
(Segmentation Violation i believe).

a) Is there a known workaround?
` - b) If there is, why are there no docs anywhere on the internet?
   ` - c) If (following either assistance or dumb luck) I get it
          working, would a "walkthrough" be welcomed? (see lack of docs)
 |- d) If no known workaround, are there any suggestions from the ppc
       devs and users on this ML?

Extra info: this is a Power Mac G4 (ADC/Gigabit Ethernet) with two
harddrives: one 40GB and one 60GB.

My intended partition layout is:

/----------------
IDE0 Master: 40GB
-----------------
Partition 0: (smallest amount possible) (whatever's needed to allow
                                         autoboot into FreeBSD, I've
                                         nuked OS X)

Partition 1: (the remainder)            FreeBSD UFS2, mountpoint /

IDE0 Slave : 60GB
-----------------
Partition 0:  2GB      FreeBSD swap
Partition 1: 58GB      FreeBSD UFS2, mountpoint /usr

This is my first attempt at FreeBSD on a ppc, doubly so for a mac. I'm
not, however, completely new to FreeBSD, I've run it before.

Any help anyone here could provide in this matter would be much
appreciated, and I will help as I can in procuring information for you
if you require.

I apologise for the incoherence of this message, I'm quite distressed by
this.

--Horst.