my problem using iBook G4

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 20 06:47:31 PST 2008

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2008, at 12:09 AM, Weongyo Jeong wrote:

>>> Naturally, I forgot the patch. It lives at
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/ata.debug.diff, and should be
>>> applied to ata_kauai.c. Thanks!
>>
>> The below is the result written by my hand but expect the value is
>> correct.
>>
>> ata1: <Intrepid Kauai ATA Controller> mem ~~~~~~~ irq 39 at device 13.0
>> on pci2
>> ata1: Firmware configured PIO register: 0x6149246
>> ata1: Firmware configured UDMA register: 0x2921
>
> Same here:
>
> ata1: <Intrepid Kauai ATA Controller> mem 0xf5004000-0xf5007fff \
>     irq 39 at device 13.0 on pci2
> ata1: Firmware configured PIO register: 0x6149246
> ata1: Firmware configured UDMA register: 0x2921

Interesting - that isn't what I expected at all. According to the tables
in the Apple and NetBSD drivers 0x6149246 isn't even a valid mode. I
will try to rewrite the mode setting and initialization logic to
slavishly follow Apple's driver in the next few days, and see if that
improves anything. Apple switches the bus to PIO0/WDMA2/UDMA5 at boot,
which is odd, but maybe is important.
-Nathan