Installation preparation questions

Ross Gohlke ross at grinz.com
Tue May 13 16:56:57 UTC 2008

> Hi Ross,
>
>> My six year-old TiBook is still more reliable (and better outfitted)
>> than
>> some recent i386 laptops I've used. I can't wait to give it to my Mom as
>> starter Internet terminal - as soon as I can install PC-BSD on it!
>
>   I don't want to burst your bubble, but the FreeBSD/ppc install
> currently makes NetBSD's install look like PC-BSD :(

Maybe I'm just really bad at finding the right BSD documentation. I
wrestled with NetBSD on a PowerMac G4 a while back and gave up. I am not a
hardware guy, and fiddling with system-level settings is something I would
rather avoid. Monitor frequency? Give me a break!

I have been able to boot FreeBSD/ppc Installer CD (downloaded from
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/powerpc/, burned using Disk Utility,
booted holding down C) on a PowerMac G4, an iBook G4 and a Powerbook G4.
And there waiting for me is good old sysinstall.
Pull up
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-sysinstall.html.
>From there it's as easy or hard as any FreeBSD install.
What am I missing?