Installation preparation questions

Ross Gohlke ross at grinz.com
Mon May 12 05:44:33 UTC 2008

I'm about to attempt an install of FreeBSD per these instructions:
http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/install.html

The server is an Xserve G4 Dual 1.0GHZ, and I would like to minimize my
downtime by doing as much as possible remotely, on the front end.

Q1: What is the difference between
www.freebsd.org/~grehan/ppc-root-latest.tbz2 and
http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/ppc_iso/latest.iso and the downloads
available at www.freebsd.org/where.html? Is ppc-root-latest.tbz2
FreeBSD7.0?

Q2: Can I transfer the file to a pre-existing UFS drive in Mac OS X (10.2)
and untar it, so that all I have to do when I get on-site is essentially
reboot from CD?

Q3: Once I have set the mountvolume in OpenFirmWare (OFW), can the machine
be rebooted remotely?

Q4: What is the difference between the link above and
http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/iso_install.txt?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

--
Ross Gohlke